BREAKING NEWS: Direct Ship of wine soon legal in all 50 States!
Would you be in favor of direct shipment of alcohol that was consistent across all 50 states that included at least the same degree of safety as we currently have today? 100% = YES
Are you in favor of getting special interest money of all kinds out of our political process? 84% = YES
Based on the Federal Governments inability to govern, what remedy would you propose to get our Members of Congress to do their jobs for the American people?
Withhold their salaries and benefits until they start to govern again = 33%
Make them disclose all monies received (source and amount) = 66%
Not as valid as the previous survey due to small sampling size, but trend seems to be that the American public are getting dismayed with the influence of special interest, the influence of money, and the inability of our government to function in the best interest of the American people.
In this regard, I recently received an email asking me to forward its contents to another 20 people in an effort to effect change. I thought it appropriate to include its contents for this audience: (The message suggested it originated with Warren Buffett, which I cannot validate. However, it does have some common sense suggestions for the Congress)
_*Congressional Reform Act of 2011*_
1. No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they’re out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women.
Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
Your thoughts? (Please feel free to comment)